Now Reading
Twilight Derby Quick Picks

Twilight Derby Quick Picks

by Laurie RossOctober 30, 2021

Sunday’s $200,000 Twilight Derby (G2) attracted a large field of ten 3-year-old who will travel nine furlongs over the Santa Anita turf.

Billed as race ten of ten, post time is 5:10 PM PT.

Let’s take a quick look at the horses most likely to hit the board.

#8 Rock Your World (5-2)

Rock Your World returns to the turf where he won his first two starts, including the Pasadena Stakes. After winning the Santa Anita Derby (G1) over Medina Spirit, Rock Your World was roughed up in the Kentucky Derby and finished a disappointing seventeenth. The John Sadler trainee couldn’t catch Medina Spirit in the Shared Belief Stakes in their last start. Still, he’s the only Grade 1 winner in the field, and that has to count for something. Win contender.

#5 None Above the Law (6-1)

None Above the Law is one of the stronger contenders in the Twilight Derby. After a steady diet of restricted races, the Peter Miller trainee surged to win the Del Mar Derby (G2) in his last start. He has hit the board in both starts at nine furlongs, including missing the Snow Chief Stakes victory over this course and distance in June. Win contender.

#4 Hudson Ridge (5-1)

Making his second U.S. start, Hudson Ridge was full of run in the Del Mar Derby but was stuck in traffic in the stretch. However, he still rallied to miss the victory by only two lengths. Before that, the Bob Baffert trainee was awarded the victory due to interference by the winner in the La Jolla Handicap (G3). If Flavien Prat can keep the one-run closer out of trouble, we could be looking at the winner. Win contender.

#1 Flashiest (6-1)

Flashiest chased None Above the Law in the Del Mar Derby (G2) but settled for second place. Other than tossing a clunker against his betters in the Saratoga Derby Invitational Stakes (G1), Flashiest has won or placed in five of six starts. He’s placed in both starts at nine furlongs and is a winner over the Santa Anita turf. Exotics.

#6 Wootton Asset (FR) (12-1)

Wootton Asset cut back in distance, got the firm turf he likes, and earned his first U.S. score in the Virginia Derby (G3). The Graham Motion trainee didn’t do much running at Del Mar last year, but Santa Anita has wider turns, which should suit Wootton Asset. Mike Smith takes the mount, and the pair will likely hang out at the back of the pack and hopefully steer clear of traffic in the stretch. Live longshot.

Twilight Derby Stakes Analysis

Closers win 60 percent of the turf races at Santa Anita, but pace pressers win the other 40 percent. Rock Your World and None Above the Law have tactical speed, although Rock Your World generally prefers to be closer to the pace. He is most likely to get the jump on the closers.

  • #8 Rock Your World (5-2)
  • #5 None Above the Law (6-1)
  • #4 Hudson Ridge (5-1)
  • #6 Wootton Asset (FR) (12-1)

Stay tuned for more horse racing betting picks and previews over at!

Join our Discord to leave a question or comment regarding this article. We have sports fans talking betting all day — every day! JOIN THE DISCORD NOW AND QUALIFY FOR PRIZES & BETTING SWAG!

What's your reaction?
Love It
Hate It
About The Author
Laurie Ross
Laurie is a handicapper, pedigree consultant, and published author. Her work has been featured on numerous prominent racing websites and she is a reoccurring guest on sports radio programs. She is also a member of the National Turf Writers and Broadcasters Association. Her yearly publications contain tremendous insight and value for bettors and horsemen. The Freshmen Sire Guide has received accolades from leading trainers and handicappers and her Triple Crown guides are a best-selling feature.